Not Your Typical Nunn...

As many of you know, I’m a huge fan of the music of the late 70’s and the 80’s – not the top forty crap, of course! So many interesting bands emerged during that era like; Talking Heads, Ramones, The Clash, Bauhaus, Roxy Music, The Stranglers, The Smiths, etc. MTV hit the airwaves in 1981 and The Buggles, “Video Killed the Radio Star” made history as the first music video shown.

Berlin lead singer, Terri Nunn with her signature hairstyle

Videos changed everything. Image became as important as the music (today it’s even more so) and people started to adopt the styles of their favorite artists. Women were extremely influential with performers like Debbie Harry, Chrissie Hynde, Joan Jett, Siouxsie Sioux, Dale Bozzio (aka “the original Lady Gaga”), The Go Go’s and, of course, Madonna leading the way.

Terri Nunn, 1984

Back in the day, Terri Nunn was the coolest of cool in my book. The gorgeous Nunn is the lead singer of the band “Berlin,” known to most for their hit single “Take My Breath Away” in the film Top Gun. Ironically, this happens to be my LEAST favorite song! Why is it that bands I like only gain mainstream popularity when they release an average and uninspired tune? Anyway, the band hail from Orange County, CA and formed in 1979. They released their first single, “A Matter of Time” in 1980, and then in 1982, their controversial song “Sex (I’m A…)” was actually banned by some radio stations. I’m sure it would be considered quite tame by today’s standards!

The band in 1986 (Terri Nunn, Rob Brill & John Crawford)

In 1986, my awesome sister took me to see Berlin for my birthday. Because they were not well known, they were playing at a gym in a little college near our town in Pennsylvania. It was incredible. We were sitting on the bleachers watching the opening act when I noticed a very attractive man with cool hair over my right shoulder. I would know that spiky hairdo anywhere! It was John Crawford, the bassist for Berlin – just sitting there watching the warm up band! Unfortunately, I couldn’t muster up the courage to say hello to him before he slipped away out the side door to go get ready. That would never happen today! I’m not exactly the shy young kid I used to be.


one of my all time favorites!
Terri and the boys took the stage and she looked and sounded amazing. That’s what is so great about Berlin -- they have super style and talent. Ms. Nunn has pipes beyond belief. Just listen for yourself…

very cool "Bonnie & Clyde" style video